Monday, September 8, 2014

Washington Trip, Part 4- Traveling Home

We had a couple nice nights of camping before returning to TX.  We kept things very simple and stayed in primitive campgrounds without water or electricity.  I'm pretty proud of the fact that we only spent $40 total for lodging during our 18-day trip.  Our first stop on the trek back from Washington was in southern Idaho.

Milner Historic Recreation Area- along the Snake River
What does it mean if the labrador sees his shadow?  Perhaps 2 more weeks of vacation?  I wish!
Happy camper!

Our 2nd stop was in the Jemez mountains of NM.  We had a couple possible campgrounds to stay at, but we got there too late and they were all full.  So we drove down a forest road, pulled over, and pitched our tent in the dark.  The next morning, we got up and drove to Ponderosa Christian Camp- the church camp from my childhood that Josh had never seen.
Make-shift campsite on the side of the road
I have so many wonderful memories from this place!
The campfire ring where I have such sweet memories of worship and excellent sermons.
I was happy to see that they had not torn down all the old cabins.  This one is similar to the ones we stayed in as children.  The new cabins are much fancier and don't allow campers to tumble out the front in their sleep.
An old outhouse- yes, we used these!  I can't believe they are still standing.  There are now modern plumbing facilities, but these bring back some hilarious memories.
Titus had to jump in the creek of course.
This is the part of the creek where I was baptized by my dad about 23 years ago.  Special place for sure.
This is the cabin my family used to stay in for family camp.  I just love that there are old parts of camp along with the new.  This is how I will always remember PCC.

Well, that completes our trip.  We had a great time and Titus was such a trooper.  Who knows where our next adventure will take us!

No comments: