Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Kitchen Remodel: Demo Day

Our kitchen remodel is moving along very well!  We should have most of the work done by the end of this week, but I'm waiting until it's all done to show pictures.  For now you'll have to just enjoy these pictures of demo day.  Josh and I did all of the demo in about 9 hours the day before Thanksgiving.  Mom even came and helped for a while.  It was hard work but also a lot of fun. 

The old oven and cooktop came out in about 10 minutes!
We got the refrigerator relocated and then out came the dishwasher.
While Josh finished the dishwasher and sink, I removed all the cabinet doors.
Looking good!
From this point, Josh got to work with an ax, crowbar, and mallet.  Mom and I picked up the pieces and moved them outside.
These cabinets were obviously built in place.  You can even see where they painted around each shelf.
I probably should have taken a whack or two at some point, but I let Josh do all the fun (hard) stuff.
Almost done!!
I could not wait to see this wall torn down!  That was the best part of the whole day for me.
Appliances, cabinets, and countertops gone!!
Time to move on to flooring.  We had carpet with 2 layers of linoleum underneath.  Thankfully it came up in huge sheets.  We just cut off as much as we could carry and kept on going.
Flooring out of the kitchen area.  Time to move on to the rest of the room.
Sometimes the carpet would peel up without the linoleum.  Isn't this pattern lovely?  I can't imagine what this room looked like when it was covered with this stuff.  The color and pattern would have hurt my eyes :)  Seriously, imagine about 400 sq. ft. of this stuff- scary!
Our fireplace is going to look so much better without all this ugly flooring around it.
Demo complete!
At this point we still had many hours of floor grinding ahead of us to prep for the new flooring.  It was a little depressing that floor prep took longer than all the demo, but I guess it couldn't all be so easy.
I can't wait to see the finished result and share it with you!  It's seriously hard for me to walk through this room without jumping up and down right now.  Things are looking soooo good!
Stay tuned...


1 comment:

Shelly said...

I can't wait to see the new kitchen! Very exciting. There were some very interesting floor coverings going on there... I think you should run and jump and be excited everyday in your soon to be newly remodeled downstairs!